Re: [NTLK] Can owner info be stored on cards?

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Tue Sep 12 2006 - 19:02:03 EDT

On 9/12/2006 4:01 PM, Frank Gruendel wrote:
> Hi experts,
>
> is it possible to store the owner info of a new owner on
> a memory card? Or beam it to another Newton so that the
> SimpleMail prefs are kept?
>
> The reason I want to do this is because I often need to
> test whether Newtons work with particular cards, whether
> I've installed all necessary drivers, stuff like that.
>
> I would like to have everything required for SimpleMail
> on a card. This would require SimpleMail itself (which is pretty
> easy), and it would require the SimpleMail prefs for each
> particular eMail account, which are part of the owner info.

What I would so is use Soup Kitchen to copy your system soup and name it
say Systembackup or something similar. Then if you want to switch to
the backup all you have to do is rename or remove the current system
soup and rename your system soup to the originals name and reset
(reboot) your Newt. I have done this a few times when I was testing
software or removing different areas in the system soup and wanted to
make sure I could restore it if a problem occurred without the need to
dock my Newt. This does work by the way as I have done a restore with
this method a few times. Any soup editor with the ability to copy and
rename soups should work.

-Dan