[NTLK] NCT for Win : What is the point?

From: Andrés Galluzzi <agalluzzi_at_gmx.net>
Date: Fri Sep 15 2006 - 15:00:21 EDT

MKow1234:
  It looks like you are getting uncomfortable because you do not understand the point in this project. I will try to help you understand something of it. You will tell me later if I have success.

As you will know, in Windows are lot of synchronization problems. It is a topic that was present in many NewtonTalk discussions and Ronnie Simon has made presentations above that.

I worked hard to bring to the Newton Community a tool that enables it to re-connect to the Newton. Because, I understand that a Newton disconnected from the "World", is less useful than a connected one. More, I think that connection is something that gives much sense to the way of storing data digital.

As long as you synchronize your information, you can make an intelligent and powerful use of it. As long as you are able to import and export your Newton information, you can make that your data flow. And the flow of the data is something not only easy, when you have the right software, but something that makes your data more and more useful.

A Windows user has only dreamed up to now in connecting his Newton to the dock and synchronizing with Outlook, download the last RSS feeds in Raissa, etc. I close my eyes and see myself anywhere with a Newton that can connect to any desktop by simply plug a bluetooth pen in the USB device.

Yes, they looks like great dreams, but they are not impossible. The last days I presented the Engine that handles all the Newton connections. Of course I do not expect that somebody pays that money for a software that only makes backup, restore, allows you to use the desktop keyboard for writing in your Newton and installs Newton packages. As you say, that is not nothing else that what already makes NCU.

The money I ask is for the finished software. That is the reason for the 10 dollars less in the pre-ordering. The final software includes the Outlook synchronization plugin (more than 50% already done), and the many sources for connection (20% done of the expected), and the rtf import/export in Newton Works (like NCU), and the COM object that enables anybody to write his own plugin (35% done), and a lot of more plugins that makes the Newton more and more useful. As you see, it is more or less all the things you have mentioned.

As I started saying, the connection of the Newton is for me a key problem here. The flow of the data is the objective. But, for the data to flow, it needs powerful developer tools and easy plugin development. And tomorrow you come and say: "I need to put this information in the Newton" o "I need to synchronize that application with the Newton" and you have the tools that you need there, and are easy for use. Making plugins must be easy, for the information to flow. I am sure there is a lot of Newton software applications that could be more usable, if we develop the desktop side of them.

Now, I am expecting from the community to ask me for the needed features, not only to satisfy the personal need of each one, but to build a first plugin library that is useful for everybody. So we just open a window, search for the needed plugin and install it. As easy as that.

Best,
Andy.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------