Re: [NTLK] eBook reader

From: <MKow1234_at_aol.com>
Date: Sat Sep 16 2006 - 09:31:06 EDT

Hello Kate:

It depends upon what model of the Newton MessagePad PDA that you are using,
and, the preference settings under which a specific eBook was generated. I know
that in Newton Press, the author must select a preference setting for the
reader preference (Classic, Universal, MP 2X00 Portrait, MP 2X00 Landscape, eMate
Portrait, eMate Landscape, eMate Landscape Two Across, etc).

Also, once the author sets the font sizing and generates the eBook, you're
stuck with that setting. This why I occasionally include the source .NP! files
when I send eBooks to Marty and DJ's library. I sometimes make a few eBooks in
multiple formats, but it is an editing nightmare. In my opinion, there's not
much reason to use an earlier model Newton, unless that's all you can afford,
or you're masochistically trying to prove some point.

In the case of the Classic and Universal eBook preference settings, you're
naturally going to have a smaller viewing window. On the MP 2X00 screens,
however, you will see that the MP 2X00 reader uses most of the screen real estate.

In the case of Newton Press eBooks, if you're using an MP 2X00 Newton, you
SHOULD be reading eBooks specifically generated for that screen size. If you
happen to have an MP 2X00 Kate, try downloading and reading eBooks made
specifically for that size screen.
Also, look for the program that saves where you left off at in your reading
(Library?) and the program that lets you use the On/Off switch to flip pages
with your thumb.

Matt K.
Detroit, Michigan USA