Re: [NTLK] GSM EDGE/GPRS via IrDA with an eMate/MessagePad?

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Sun Sep 24 2006 - 01:16:13 EDT

On Sep 23, 2006, at 6:16 PM, Alex Perez wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Has anyone here ever experimented with or written any software to
> allow
> one to use a Newton OS v2.1 device to be able to use a phone as the
> data
> transport (not via a modem call, mind you)? The Nokia 6620 is a
> SymbianOS smartphone, and has a web browser built into it, so this
> is to
> a certain extent an academic question/exercise, but still one I'm
> curious about, nonetheless.
<snip>

Hi Alex,

Welcome to Newton land. There are in fact ways to do this, as I know
I used my t68i via Bluetooth to connect via GPRS. It's basically a
question of sending the phone the proper connection string, and
configuring the newton with a proper setup to talk to the phone.

You can go to newtontalk.net and click on the searchable archive, or
simply use google to search for the previous discussions about
connections via cells. The T68I was often discussed, and can server
as an example, as it was connected through via IR as well as bluetooth.

The developer of our bluetooth software (Blunt) and also an excellent
IR software (others too), is actually an employee at Nokia, so I
think you might have a good chance.

Marty

PS I have a Nokia E60 now, but haven't had a chance to play with the
Newton with it yet.