[NTLK] USB to RS-422 adapters...Another approach to an "age-old" problem?

From: Alex Perez <aperez_at_alexperez.com>
Date: Wed Sep 27 2006 - 02:46:57 EDT

Folks,

The Linear Technologies LTC1323 AppleTalk IC within the Newton is
capable of RS-422, according to the datasheet at
http://www.linear.com/pc/downloadDocument.do?navId=H0,C1,C1007,C1018,P1062,D2643

)

Here are all the links I dug up with an hour or two of digging through
junk on Google. This is meant to initiate discussion rather than be
particularly insightful in and of itself. Feel free to lambaste, tar and
feather, etc. etc. me.

--
G.L.O.L. (Gratuitous List of Links):
http://sewelldirect.com/usb-to-serial-rs-422.asp for USD $38 + shipping
or
http://www.usbgear.com/single-rs-422-rs-485-usb-adapter.cfm
The same thing, but with surge suppression:
http://sewelldirect.com/usb-to-serial-rs-422.asp for USD $55 + shipping or
http://www.byterunner.com/byterunner/product=name:USB-COMi ($49USD)
The above devices have both XP and OS X drivers.
Altronix AL-310 - 35 GBP/$66 USD/ 52EUR
http://www.altronix.co.uk/ProdAl310.htm
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16142
$56 USD / €44 (looks like the same things as above, just a different
supplier)
An Israeli company selling the same thing for $46 USD
http://www.papyrus.co.il/xcart/product.php?productid=16258&cat=289
A German company selling USB-RS422 adapters, no price
http://www.pci-card.com/usb.htm#usb1comrs4xx
different German company, different adapter, no price
http://de.kontron.com/index.php?id=226&cat=56&productid=835
EasySync in the UK also makes a single-port USB-to-RS-422 interface for
38GBP. See.
http://www.easysync.co.uk/index.html?lang=en-uk&target=d25.html
This manufacturer is unique because they claim "Complete driver support
for Windows XP, 2003, 2000, ME, 98, Linux, MAC-OS8,9,X"
An Australian company, Interworld Electronics, makes the USB-422, a
single-port USB to RS-422 adapter, although I suspect it's expensive,
since there's no price. I put a call in to them to get a quote.
see:
http://www.ieci.com.au/products/Product_Page2.asp?Product_ID=2088
  Alternatively, there is this two-port RS-232 model capable of RS-232
at  230kbps. It's on sale right now for 22GBP. See:
http://www.easysync.co.uk/index.html?lang=en-uk&target=d13.html
The same company also makes dedicated single and dual-port PCI serial
cards, capable of up to 921.6K bps (I realize the Newton is not
necessarily capable of this, but still!) for £15.00 and £15.00. See:
http://www.easysync.co.uk/index.html?lang=en-uk&target=d25.html