Re: [NTLK] Giving the Newton some USB lovin' (long'n'winded!)

From: Alex Perez <aperez_at_alexperez.com>
Date: Wed Sep 27 2006 - 15:54:46 EDT

Randy Glenn wrote:
> All of the devices you've mentioned are USB Device Controllers. USB
> Host Controllers are immensely scary to develop, and there simply
> aren't that many of them out there (I think you'll find most devices
> that have a USB host have some sort of PCI bus as well)
>
> Beyond that, a USB stack would have to be implemented on the Newton.
> That's a whole other level of scary.

Not quite :) "As the VNC1L comes complete with FTDI's in-house developed
firmware, there are no USB software stacks to license, indeed, no
knowledge of USB is required to use these devices."

No EHCI/UHCI stuff to deal with. The two ports the VNC1L provides can be
switched in firmware to act as both USB Host ports, both usb device
ports, or a combination of the two, at the same time.

Am I seeing any glimmers of hope yet? *grin* Also, it's worth pointing
out that these chips cost around $9 (£6.05) each in single quantities.

They don't charge for the firmware, either:
http://www.vinculum.com/downloads.html