Re: [NTLK] Print Pack

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Thu Sep 28 2006 - 09:48:34 EDT

On 9/28/2006 9:28 AM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
> on 28/09/06 04:28, Martin Joseph at NT@stillnewt.org wrote:

>> Really? I don't think that's right? Isn't it just a straight up
>> serial to parallel convertor with a buffer in it? I don't think
>> these devices did "appletalk"?
>
> There is definitely some software involved because when you would first plug
> the print pack to your Newton, it would automatically download some printer
> driver packages, so there is definitely some intelligence in there.
>
> -Laurent.

Yes there is a chip in there to download the driver package to your
Newt. I don't know if there is more than that with the cable itself (if
it does conversion etc). I have heard of the cables that Jon spoke of
and that they do work, except they won't install the drivers on your
Newt. But you just install the drivers by normal means (they are on
UNNA) and the cable will work fine.

-Dan