Re: [NTLK] Pepper pad

From: Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net>
Date: Thu Apr 12 2007 - 14:35:40 EDT

kevin_ondre@vermontel.net wrote:
> Ok, So I asked about the iPAQ 4700, now I am asking about the pepper pad....
> anyone use one? are they good units? worth wild units to own?
>
> They are larger than I was really looking for but very interesting.

I have one, both the original Pad and the newer Pad 3.

Pepper is focused on developing and selling their application framework based
on Java, XML/XSLT, and embedded Gecko (DHTML/XML) and their framework (called
the Keeper) does make things extremely easy for users. Your grandma could
use this browser, I think.

Under the hood is Linux as an OS and a nice hardware platform based around
the AMD Geode x86 compatible CPU, with the standard bells and whistles like a
hard disk, USB 2.0, audio in / out and TV out, Bluetooth 2.0. Personally I
like it but I'm an uber-Linux geek and I've already customized mine a lot.

There's a wiki all about it: http://pepperwiki.chuma.org/

--
Victor Rehorst - victor@newtontalk.net - chuma@chuma.org