Re: [NTLK] Zodiac (was Pepper pad)

From: Dekaritae <dekaritae_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Apr 12 2007 - 18:05:26 EDT

L.W. Brown wrote:
> I got a cheap Zodiac a few months back (demo model from the former
> repair company), along with a beefed-up replacement battery from Hong
> Kong and a hand made cover.
> It is very nice: two SD slots for great storage, easily usable in
> landscape; nice screen; good music player.
> Downsides: video player is not included; Palm OS crashes often (tho
> it could be poorly-written Palm-compatible software), difficult/slow
> syncing (but do-able in OSX with the not-cheap Missing Sync program),
> loses all memory when loses charge (except there are good backup
> progs, including part of the Missing Sync package, and the SD cards
> do not lose memory); miserable Graffiti; BlueTooth is slower than I
> would expect (cable is faster).
> I am not sorry I got it, but it is really not for input, and that
> makes it not much more useful than a new iPod, which has a lot more
> storage and a truly reliable video player.

1. TCPMP for DivX/XviD/etc video playback. Free.
    http://snipurl.com/tcpmp072

2. Software can't be fixed by end users, but Crash can help.
    http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/crash.shtml

3. Unfortunately, Missing Sync for Zodiac is the only OS X solution.

4. My recommended backup solution is a simple manual one.
    http://snipurl.com/bbvfsfree

5. MobileWrite replaces graffiti with full word recognition.
    http://www.inkmarksoftware.com/page2.html

6. Bluetooth as implemented by most chip manufacturers is slow.
    It was not designed for how we use it today.

7. I find that my Zodiac is a wonderful device for text input.
    TealScript instead of graffiti, to tune it to my varied hand-
    writings, and a virtual thumbboard for alternate text entry.
    http://blog.treonauts.com/Thumbboard03.jpg

    I also recommend the Pebble suite. Among other things, it
    provides clipboard sharing and remote key/mouse control.
    http://www.pebbles.hcii.cmu.edu/software/index.php