Re: [NTLK] [OT] Newton, Nokia n770/n800, and Serial-to-Bluetooth

From: Bruce Durocher II <bedii_at_qwest.net>
Date: Sat Apr 14 2007 - 00:41:17 EDT

On Apr 13, 2007, at 5:47 AM, Martin Portman wrote:

> On 4/13/07, Bruce Durocher II <bedii@qwest.net> wrote:
>> On another front I'd like to use my Microwriter with both my
>> Newton
>> and the Nokia if I get one.
>
> Microwriter! That's going back a bit. I haven't tried to connect
> one to a
> Newton,
> but I'll just point out that there's a newer version called the
> CyKey, which
> has
> more connectivity options (and is far more portable!)
>
> http://www.bellaire.demon.co.uk/bellaire_cykey.html
>
> Martin

Yes, it's newer and will work with both the right and the left
hands. However it costs three times what I just paid for this
Microwriter, it only outputs as IR (the manufacturer will happily
sell you a IR dongle that plugs into your USB port for a Windows
machine or a Mac, but I've yet to find a way to make sure the Newton
can read the IR output from a Cykey), and it doesn't do the "curved
hand" position that the Microwriter does. I'm very familiar with the
CyKey: the manufacturer did a repair job on my Microwriter AgendA not
too long ago. Unfortunately, until someone can come up with a way to
get the IR info out of the CyKey and into the Newton, I'll have to
stick with using a serial port--that I can always wire together.