Re: [NTLK] Backup Flash Memory Card

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Mon Apr 23 2007 - 20:26:48 EDT

On 4/23/2007 4:27 PM, Cracka Jack wrote:
> I'm relatively new to Newtons, so please bear with me.
> I have a Newton 2100 and a really nice Flash Memory card that has a bunch of
> games/tools/info on it and I wanted to make a backup copy, as I've lost
> stuff (or had it fail) before.
> Does anyone know how to copy the information from 1 PCMCIA Flash card to
> another blank PCMCIA Flash Card?
> Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Allen

This was covered very recently you might want to check the archives. I
believe it was last month. Anyway in summery it is not easy to do
(directly from card to card). The only program that I know of that will
do this is SBM utilities. At least from card directly to another card
using a MP1x00.

The cheaper route (if you have a serial port and the cable to connect
your Newt to your desktop) is to use NCU to backup the card then restore
it to another card. But if you have a Mac it requires classic which it
would seem, not many have anymore. If you have windows it should run
ok, but you may need slowdown (a program to slow down your system) and
to adjust you FIFO buffers to the lowest setting. And if you don't have
a serial port, then you need to get a USB to serial adapter.

-Dan