[NTLK] Help with WLAN

From: Andy Hill <adhill_at_fastmail.co.uk>
Date: Sat Aug 04 2007 - 04:54:11 EDT

Hi there (Sorry about the long query)

I'm having some difficulty connecting my MP2000 using a Lucent Wavelan
Silver Turbo to our wireless router.
I've read plenty of the archive but not seen my particular problem.All
the right packages are installed, the card is recognised and I believed
configured, but probably not correctly. I don't get anywhere with an
internet set up configuration based on 'DHCP' but get quite far choosing
'manual'. For example using Nethopper, it goes through: loading ethernet
drivers, engaging ethernet drivers, connecting, looking up address.
But that's as far as it goes at which point I get a message saying: 'No
response from your current DNS Server, check your internet connection or
contact your service administrator'.

The settings I have in internet connection are:
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Local IP Address: (see below I have a question on this)
Gateway/Router Address: 62.25.195.95
Primary DNS/Name Server: 195.92.195.95

What should I be using for the Local IP Address? In the current
configuration settings on our windows machine there are various
addresses to choose from:

Access point IP
LAN IP address
Broadcast LAN IP Address
DHCP start
DHCP end address
WAN IP Address (the numbers are the same as the Access Point IP)

I have tried them all but it makes no difference?

In terms of settings on the actual card:

Use for Apple talk (this is ticked)
Mode: Infrastructure
Channel 1(ignored)
SSID: (I don't know how to find this?)
WEP Key: taken from base of router
Use WEP: ticked
I've chosen hexadeciminal as the WEP key is 26 characters long, and if I
attempt to use 'string' mode is says 'string too long'.

I am using an Orange Livebox modem/router. This is connected to a
windows machine via ethernet cable and also a g3 powerbook via airport
card.

Last question, when setting up the connection via windows box and
powerbook I had to press a button on the router to allow pairing after
which point I had to tap in the WEP key. Is there a requirement to do
any pairing between the router and Newt?

Any suggestions would be very gratefully recieved.

Andy