Re: [NTLK] HWR problem

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Aug 05 2007 - 09:02:57 EDT

~~~ On 2007/08/05 06:49, Steve Trotter at trotter@nwinfo.net wrote ~~~

> Woody--
> Many thanks. I've certainly heard about the dreaded Jaggies, but never
> investigated them. I assumed they were a generalized, all over the
> screen, effect.
> I'll try your solution and do some sniffing around on the wiki.
> Thanks again.
> Steve

Steve,

There is always the possibility that a little dirt under the bezel is
causing the problem. The solution is to *carefully* clean under the bezel
with a thin card. If that works you'll be OK for awhile. If it doesn't, in
the long run you have two choices: take it apart yourself to do the repairs
(probably replace the digitizer), or send it to someone in the list with
experience who can do it for you (depending on which continent you live in).

If you want to try it yourself first, I heartily suggest going to:
http://www.pda-soft.de/hardware.html

Scroll down and check out all the interesting links or just go to:
http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00_disassemble.html

That starts with useful info on the different resets, but if you scroll down
you get instructions on disassembly, and at the bottom is a link on
reassembly.

You might also find it helps to read the question on jaggies at:
http://www.pda-soft.de/faq.html
-- and do a Find (Apple-F on a Mac or Control-F in windows) for "jaggies".

Last year my Newt began throwing jaggies. I tried the easy stuff, then
decided I didn't feel up to doing the disassembly and digitizer replacement
myself. I e-mailed Frank and he said it was OK to send it to him. I hadn't
finished suffering withdrawal when my Newt was back at my front door. Good
price, good work done, peace of mind, and a Newton that's working better
than ever.

Wherever you live, you're likely to find somebody if you don't want to do it
yourself.

FWIW.

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- What Arthur C. Clarke meant to say

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl