Re: [NTLK] 2100 battery

From: Adriano <adriano.angelillis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Aug 09 2007 - 08:07:50 EDT

Hello Thomas,

the MessagePad 2x00 original battery has 4pcs of Ni-CD batteries
built-in. I don't know the exact capacity of the cells, cause I have
never had the chance to crack-open a brand new battery pack, but
considering that on my own experience a MessagePad can last days
with a single charge, I might assume that the cells could be rated
between 900 and 1200mAh, at least.

In terms of consumption I can report that the MessagePad2x00 series
and eMate they both consumes approxim. 105-115mAh to keep powered
the following modules:

  - Mainboard (Newton OS active and in stand-by mode).
  - Backlight.
  - Serial port (i.e. Keyboard connected - Sync with desktop computer).

Most memory cards won't add much more to the overall consumption,
which should easily stay under 120mAh.

Things will change very much when inserting any kind of pcmcia adapter
intended for communications (i.e. Wifi, Ethernet, Modem, Bluetooth)
which
would usually draw a minimum current value of 180mAh each, with peaks
of 360mAh.

One of the reasons I have never used a pcmcia modem when using Newton
as my main fax machine is exactly cause of power consumption, while the
external, serial, original Newton fax/modem runt beautifully on its
own batts,
and did last days using just a couple of alkalines (or rechargables).

Kind regards,

Adriano Angelillis
MessagePad Accessories
http://notwen.com