Re: [NTLK] OT Are we stupid?

From: Thomas Hart <those_at_mac.com>
Date: Fri Aug 10 2007 - 11:37:24 EDT

Well, it seems that if you look at history, and the history of
appliances specifically, the fact is that there has yet to be
invented a 'time saving device' that saved you any time. Most, if not
all 'time saving devices' were invented to get you to buy something
that does something that you never spent any time doing before it was
invented to save you time. Before vacuum cleaners we didn't carpet
every square inch of the living space we had. A rug here, a runner
there, which were easily and quickly taken out into the garden by the
maid for beating was all that was required.
        Let's not kid ourselves. Email is another case in point. A nifty
invention to make communication and the transfer of information
quicker and more efficient. And for the ones that include actual
information, this is true. But let's not forget that most, upwards of
60 to 70 % of what shows up in your inbox is just garbage, taking up
space and time. We invent filters and junk mailers figure a way to
get around it. New email programs come out and you have to learn how
to use them. Most people can't even spend the time learning how to
use google with effect.
        Then again, just think of how long it would take to send an email if
you had to gather up all the parts, put 'em all together, write the
OS, then the mail program, organize a network and send!
        I suppose though, you could just get a mac and read the newton faq
and have done with it.

Thomas