Re: [NTLK] OT Are we stupid?

From: Oliver Brose <oliver.brose_at_t-online.de>
Date: Sun Aug 12 2007 - 14:29:24 EDT

>From: "Matt Howe" <matthowe@comcast.net>
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] OT Are we stupid?
>Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 12:37:29 -0400
>
>I have to disagree. It is unreasonable to expect the Newton to sync to
>software that didn't exist at the time it was created. On the other hand,
>newer software should be backwards compatible, or at least offer a backwards
>compatibility mode, which too few applications offer.
>
>Oliver Brose wrote:
>><snip>
>>I may not have much idea about networks in general,
>>but I know that once I get the Newt to see the Mac, it should be able
>>to connect to Escale. Yet that simply does not happen.
>><snip>

I have to disagree with your disagreement. Network connections adhere
to standards, which is why they work in the first place.
Nevertheless, as things do not work, that seems not to be the whole
pie. Ever tried to connect a Newton to OS X via AppleTalk? It does
work (Connecting. File transfer is something else), if you adhere to
a specific *manual* procedure regarding the order of establishing the
connection. I found it also helped to chant in strange tongues and
sprinkle the keyboard with imported vinegar blended with the remains
of rotten roaches. That does not do anything for TCP/IP though.

Oliver