Re: [NTLK] Returned to the Fold After 9 Years - Questions

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Aug 17 2007 - 15:40:19 EDT

While I agree with those apps listed below, the real un-sung heros of the Newt world are the extensions that do so much and hide themselves away from everyday eyes.
  Here are some of the extensions I can't live without:
  Corrector + This extension allows you to configure your newt to auto correct parts of words that are miss interpreted. For instance, if your "ing" prefix usually get's recognized as "iny", this will fix that.
  Scrappy This jem gives you one heck of a clipboard...it gives you two in fact. One is a temporary one that can hold bunches of items and the other is permanent and allows fast access to commonly used stuff
  alt.rec Where would we be without this helper. alt.rec allows you newt to reach its maximum capacity for recognition using typical "newt magic"
  Daylight Savings Wow...this really came in handy when Bush arbitrarily changed the DST earlier this year!
  DragNDrop Names if you have someone's information in notepad, just highlight it and drop it into Names...it automatically parses and creates a new contact entry
  MacInTalk and SpeakText What's cooler than having your Newt read your notes in a voice of your choosing?
  UnProtect allows you to move (copy) copyprotected programs between your multiple newts...comes in handy when you want a backup copy on a card
  TimeStamp I love this extension and use it every day. It adds a date and time selector to the caret dropdown.

  And of course, Dashboard....to me, this is what Newton Inc would have put in the Newt OS if it had stayed in business...
  Also, Action Names...some people have problems with this, but without it, I would be lost.

  Most of these are available on my Newton download site, if not, it's on Unna...

  Ed
  web/gadget guru
"Joel M. Sciamma" <joel@inventors-emporium.co.uk> wrote:
> Think I'm getting there app-wise, but would be great to hear what
> are on your Top 10 (or even more...) List.

In no particular order, I really appreciate:

proCalcEx - RPN calculator like HP41 and 2Enter3 which uses HWR / Calx.
DateMan
Notion and NewtDB
VoiceNotes
NewtWiki
GeekSafe
Twerks
GestureLaunch / BarKeep
ScribeWorks / ProPoint
NotePadConverter
NewtPaint
DTMF settings
Find+
RollOver
HiLite2000 / PunctPad
SBM Utilities
Heaven or Hell
Soft Charge
Unlimited Folders
i++
OutlineStyles
NoteScroller

> Any other tips or advice for this ol' Newt user?

"The rule in Silicon Valley is that if Apple leaves the table smiling, the other guy got screwed,"
   - Rob Enderle, independant analyst on the Apple/Cisco iPhone lawsuit