Re: [NTLK] RES: [Indesejados] Newton Evolution

From: Rod <lavo_at_ozmac.com>
Date: Sat Feb 03 2007 - 20:45:37 EST

On 03/02/2007, at 9:49 PM, Bret Feinblatt wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2007, at 5:18 PM, newtontalk@newtontalk.net wrote:
>
>> From: "gaudo" <gaudo@terra.com.br>
>> Subject: [NTLK] RES: [Indesejados] Newton Evolution
>> Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 11:03:03 -0400
>> I saw the release of iphone as a kind of Apple return to handheld
>> world. I
>> saw that this issue was already commented here, but I want to put
>> my opinion
>> here.
>> I think the great advantage of Newton from the others PDA are the
>> screen,
>> HRW and the Newton OS itself. The 3,5" screen is not enough to
>> write (if it
>> have HRW) or read large documents, because when you are reading and
>> the text
>> "disappear" on the top of screen, it is more easy to lost the
>> context.
>> The iPhone should be a new Newton. But the sad part is that they
>> donīt
>> mentioned the Newton on the iPhone release... or not?
>
> I suspect part of the reason the iPhone might not get to be Newton
> 3.0, with stylus and all, is (apart from PDAs not being nearly as
> sexy) what the stylus eventually does to the screen. I love my 2x00u,
> but it has enough marks on it that I can't see using it for video and
> really enjoying it, if it had the capability.
>
> At least, that's my guess. Plus, even regular pdas seem to be moving
> away from stylus alot in favor of a dinky little keyboard.

I think it has a lot to do with the touch screen recognition. If you
have seen the various videos around the place of the iPhone, there is
one in particular that the journalist tries to use his fingernail on
the screen. No response. I'm figuring that the screen requires a
wide area of pixels to register a touch on the screen. Therefore no
stylus will work with it. Considering how skinny the phone is, where
would you put the stylus?

Seeya

Rod!