Re: [NTLK] mac os9 hardware for old newton apps and VNC

From: Rene Raggl <rene.raggl_at_mac.com>
Date: Sun Feb 04 2007 - 12:32:14 EST

Hi Bill,

Well if I were you I would choose for the 6500 and with the
Ethernetport you can hook it up to your remaining Network. And it is
surely the most powerful unit you listed (except the All-in-one is a
5500 with 250 Mhz or even the G3 upgrade installed).

The last and most powerful Mac before Apple canned the serial ports
(that you need to use the Newton without the hassle of a USB Adapter)
was the G3 Server which was available with processors of up to 333
Mhz. The last unit that was able to boot from OS 9 was the G4
Quicksilver, but with those you can only use the Newton through a
serial adapter. Newer models can only run OS9 under Classic.

IMHO I would stick with the 6500 the others are not that much better.
Hope this helped.

Regards,

Rene

Am 04.02.2007 um 17:40 schrieb William Pociengel:

> I'm searching for the heftiest hw I can find that will run os9
> natively
> so I can run old apps and connect via VNC. I have classic installed
> but
> I'm thinking it might just be easier for some things (like
> investigating, oh say powerforms) to just run them on an OS9 machine.
>
> I currently have access to:
>
> LC, appletalk only,
> 6500 with Ethernet,
> 7100 with some flavor of Sonnet accelerator and I think Ethernet (I'd
> used this one as a VNC machine in the past),
> One of those 'all in one' Performas sitting in a box (but I'm not
> sure I
> want to power up the screen if I'm running remotely
>

> as you can see I've not run any of these machines for a while. Any
> ideas
> if there is anything sitting out there that is worth the effort to
> obtain, configure and maintain that would work better than any of the
> above? I have no problem running the machine headless after it's
> setup.
>
> thanks
>
> bill
> --