Re: [NTLK] Question about ATA PCMCIA-CF driver

From: R A Parker <Quadzillanet_at_Newted.ORG>
Date: Sat Feb 17 2007 - 01:39:00 EST

On Friday, February 16, 2007 at 5:35 pm SOVIET wrote:

> or i have to go and buy some random
> card and just is a matter of luck

Yes... and no... It's not luck (it's standards) and generally any random
card does work fine.

> kind of cards will work securely
> using the driver ?

hmmm... securely? What, you don't do backups? Stay away from CF-Micro
Drives and make sure you have a good Flash Card to backup your important
data. Consider the ATA driver as a expendable mass storage device. Don't
put all your egg freckles in one basket.

> If someone have a running ata card in
> his newton can share information?

I've tried the ATA driver on just about everything I own from a 110 to a
120 to an eMate and 2100. It all worked with out a hitch. I haven't tested
anything long term nor beyond the 4MB demo mode. The driver is on my "To Be
Purchase" soon list.

To give you and idea... I own all of the following:

PCMCIA to CFII Adapter (unknown brand from eBay)
PCMCIA To CF Adapter pulled from an Epson Printer
SD/MMC To CF Adapter
Smart Media To CF Adapter
128MB + 256MB SD
128MB Smart Media
256MB CF

BTW... The ATA Driver, even in demo mode, is an excellent fix for an eMate
user who can't find a compatible Flash Card that writes, as well as reads.
Buy it... you'll like it.

Ron

--
Sent using GoFetch and a Wireless Newton 2100.
--
       |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM
--
Fetch...Send...Stay... "Good Boy!"