[NTLK] Upgrading an MP2K

From: Eldee Stephens <eldee_stephens_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Feb 22 2007 - 17:53:14 EST

Fellow listers,

There are a ton of things I'd like to try with my
MP2K, but as most of them are networking-related, the
limited amount of heap is becoming a real problem. So
I suppose I have two alternatives:

1. find someone to upgrade my MP2K to 4MB DRAM
2. purchase a used MP2100

I had been leaning towards the first option, mostly
because my unit is in excellent shape, the screen has
no scratches, and as far as i can tell, the backlight
is still of reasonable strength. The downside, though,
is that I cannot seem to locate anyone who still
performs this upgrade other than the chap who runs
newtonsales.com -- and from all of the history in the
archives, I'm more than a little wary about handing my
MP2K over.

Can someone recommend anyone else who can do this? Are
newtonsales.com now more competent, honest, and
customer-friendly in the past?

The second option is starting to sound better, though.
At $75+shipping each (and whatever hidden costs that
will be sprung on me after the order is placed) for
the "upgrade," perhaps a second-hand 2100 is a better
choice. In this way, I get two functioning units, and
maybe even at less than the cost of the upgrade's
final tally. I've heard positive things about J&K
Sales, and their "near-mint" units are around $150. On
eBay other sellers are offering for even less.

So folks, dollar-for-dollar, what's the better deal in
your opinion?

-- eldee

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
Access over 1 million songs.