Re: [NTLK] Prototype eMate 300

From: Frank Gruendel <newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de>
Date: Sat Jan 06 2007 - 18:50:00 EST

> Just a primitive suggestion: After upgrading the memory
> in my recently acquired and enhanced eMate, it wouldn't
> boot. Pushing the power button had no effect. Figuring I
> had pulled the power lead out of the battery case somehow
> (though I couldn't fathom just exactly how), I opened the
> case again and checked it out. Power leads seemed sound.
> I wiggled the memory chip a bit and my eMate squealed
> like a pig and then booted up. Everything I had stored
> internally was wiped, but the machine worked again. I got
> a lesson in backing up data and the knowledge that the
> memory module must be properly seated or the eMate won't
> power up.
>
> So... maybe if you open the case and wiggle the ROM chip
> and any other essential "daughterboard" type components?
> Maybe some tuner cleaner on the contacts? Could be just
> that simple.

If the board you wiggled was the memory upgrade board, this
can easily be explained. The NewerTech version of this upgrade
is so poorly soldered that it very often isn't recognized by
the Newton. Wiggling it might well result in it's being
temporarily recognized, but that's far from a reliable fix.
The only reliable fix is either removing the upgrade board
altogether, or re-soldering the memory chips on it.

Frank