Re: [NTLK] Hacked WiFi driver

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat Jan 06 2007 - 21:08:18 EST

On 1/6/07, Milan Votava <votava@mageo.cz> wrote:

> It appears I have managed to hack Hiroshi's Wave LAN driver so I can
> connect to WEP enabled network even after the trial period (30 days)
> has expired.
>
> Now I have a moral dilemma: Shall I share my hack with other
> Newtonians, who have like me no chance to register the driver anymore
> due to Hiroshi's decision to do not process registration any longer?
>
> Your thoughts?

Dear Milan,

I really would suggest that you NOT pass this version of the software
around.
This is not in the spirit of the community.
We will not benefit the Newton Community if we begin to condone this type of
action.
There are few software developers already for the Newton Platform.
With this action you will put doubt into the minds of current and future
Newton Developers in their consideration of spending their time in Newton
Development.

Hiroshi has his legal right to sell or not sell this software. He has the
right to answer or not answer emails regarding this matter. But we do not
have the right to start dictating that Hiroshi sell, license or to collect
money for him. The actions are wrong no matter how unfair it may seem.

I was fortunate to have the opportunity to purchase a license prior to the
closure of his offering. I purchased two licenses even though I didn't need
to do so to show my support to Hiroshi for providing this WiFi Driver as
long as he had at that time.

The future of Newton is Einstein with Relativity and Beyond!
It's great to be able to use the Newton, but this action will tarnish the
Newton Community. To my knowledge we have lost many long standing NTLK
members due to the spirit of the community changing for the worse. I fear
that this action will continue to cast a bad shadow on us all and more
members will continue to leave.

I for one see that this is a possible future for myself one day. As more
people begin to act in this manner (ex. we don't honor the developer's
wishes and such...) the inherent trust which binds us together as the Newton
Community sight unseen will wither away.
If this is of no concern to you we will eventually turn into one of those
cracking lists .......

Just my thoughts on this matter...

--
God bless,