Re: [NTLK] Hacked WiFi driver

From: Milan Votava <votava_at_mageo.cz>
Date: Sun Jan 07 2007 - 17:20:28 EST

At 21:28 7.1.2007, you wrote:
>Okay.
>
>Lets turn the discussion this way:
>* We can all agree that Hiroshi *owns* his drivers.

I will dispute this predicament. As I post earlier I don't believe
Hiroshi has created the driver from the scratch. I do believe he has
used some opensource (freebsd probably) driver he has based his work
on. I'm no opensource expert but I think you can't simply take an
opensource stuff and turn it in to a close/commercial product without
making the final product to comply with the opensource license...

My theory is: Mr. Hiroshi simply took an opensource driver from
freebsd opensource project and turned it to a commercial product by a
process of translating it to the newton platform. While it was a
complex and difficult job it it doesn't mean the final product
belongs to him. He had to release the source code to public at least...

Milan