Re: [NTLK] NotePhone 2

From: Grant Hutchinson <grant_at_splorp.com>
Date: Tue Jan 09 2007 - 10:04:52 EST

On Jan 8, 2007, at 8:21 AM, Sonny Hung wrote:

> I've just shot out an email to Robert to see if there is anything
> he can do
> to put me in contact with Hannes. It's too bad that this device
> seems to
> have been trashed with so little saved. Especially that Siemens
> seems to not
> have saved and documentation at all - it was common practice back
> then to
> just toss things into the garbage dumpster. As they, like Harris
> never saved
> anything relating to their older technology back then. :(

It a standard way of recouping expenses through write-offs on
"failed" R & D. From a business standpoint, it makes perfect (and
economic) sense on the spreadsheets, but in reality, it's a bit
twisted. Destroying potentially valuable items for small gains in the
present ... hmmm, kind of sounds like the entire history of human
events.

Sigh.

> Hey, I re-read the blurb for the Siemens 2000 NotePhone Prototype
> there and
> am wondering if the reference to the 110 NotePhone was a typo or
> was it
> actually called that? Hm, or was there another model in development?

 From what I understand, there were always two models of the
NotePhone: the one based on the MP2000/NOS 2.0 platform (as shown on
the Newted gallery page); and the original NotePhone, which was based
around the MP100/NOS 1.x platform. You are correct ... that reference
to the 110 is a typo on my part.

I have updated the gallery page.

g.

Grant Hutchinson > Interface Considerations & Toys

Weblog > www.splorp.com
Newton > www.newted.org
Design > www.veer.com
Photos > www.flickr.com/photos/splorp