Re: [NTLK] WEP

From: Morgan Aldridge <makkintosshu_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue Jan 09 2007 - 10:30:08 EST

WPA & WPA2 are currently implemented by 802.11g cards (all of which
are CardBus at minimum, not PCMCIA, and so incompatible with the
Newton), not by 802.11b cards supported on the Newton. Unfortunately,
that means we're stuck where we are.

Regardless of the insecurity of WEP, a few minutes is a best-case-
scenario (and a lucky one) for breaking it's encryption and the
reality is that if you change your WEP password/key weekly you're
unlikely to get cracked, esp. if you're only using your Newton on
that network (see a previous discussion on it from back in February
[1]). WEP encryption will atleast keep the casual explorer, a prying
neighbor, and potential bandwidth hogs off your network.

[1] http://www.newtontalk.net/archive/newtontalk.2006-02/0032.html

Morgan Aldridge

--
morgant@makkintosshu.com