Re: [NTLK] Hacked WiFi driver

From: James Wages <james_at_kiramek.com>
Date: Tue Jan 09 2007 - 19:53:11 EST

On 1/10/07 8:21 AM, "Gary Moody" <gmoody@gmx.net> wrote:
> So...please...let this thread die here.
> It is all of our best interests.

While Mr. Moody's post did contain a trial lawyer's dissertation, I will
sound a hardy "Amen" to his ultimate conclusion... End this thread now!
(Note that I only post this message because some of you posted AFTER Mr.
Moody, turning a blind eye to his thoughtful plead. Hence my post here is
yet another, and hopefully FINAL appeal, for this to be put to rest.)

You gentlemen who are so intent on acting as legal beagles in this thread
would be better served, and better serve our Newton community, by changing
the subject and instead express your sheer joy over the accomplishments of a
Newton developer, Simon Bell, who has brought the outstanding NCX to us.

Putting it another way (for the hard-headed among us), I am so saddened to
see all these nutty lawyer-style posts about a silly hacked driver (hacked
and not actively distributed, from what I see, and hacked only because the
author refuses to accept payment for it!), when we all should be talking
about the greatest addition to the Newton software collection in years: NCX.

Even with a -600 error here and there, and even though NCX only communicates
at 38400bps (whereas I can use a patched NCU under OS 7/8/9 at 57600bps), it
still is outstanding that this so closely resembles Apple's NCU and yet it
can be used in the latest version of OS X Tiger! And there's room for
improvement, which I am sure the developer is interested in hearing from us.
Guys, that's worth all your time and energy -- not wasting your time
weighing the ethical and legal questions that arise from a silly driver
hacked by a man who found no way to pay for it.

Spare me and my fellow Newtonians any further brow-beating and
yawn-generating legalese please! (And to those of you who advocate piracy
and open distribution of maliciously pirated software, you have no place on
this list.)

Now change the focus to NCX...

...or else! :-)

--James Wages