Re: [NTLK] The day the Newton died it's final death...

From: Ian Johnson <itjohnson_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jan 10 2007 - 00:12:10 EST

On Jan 9, 2007, at 11:34 PM, George Qualley IV wrote:

> Of course, that all changed today when I saw the iPhone. All I can
> say is that I was completely stunned. Now, I know that many of those
> here have an interest in the Newton as kind of a pet project and I
> don't want to offend any of you. But, I do think that some of that is
> because the Newton has always held so much potential coupled with the
> fact that the palmtop market has seen such a lack of innovation.
> Today, I think that all changed. For me, at least, the iPhone really
> is revolutionary. Unlike all of the other alternatives out there the
> iPhone is true Apple innovation just like the Newton was. So, for the
> first time today I finally feel like I can let go of that nagging
> little feeling in my mind that, even after all these years, the
> Newton is pretty damn awesome. Today, the Newton WAS pretty damn
> awesome, but now I welcome the future and it is the iPhone.

The iPhone is an exciting product, but it's not going to change much
for me, at least not in its current form. GSM coverage in the US is
limited compared to CDMA, and although I would really like an iPhone,
coverage is more important in a phone than cool features. Given that,
an iPhone is out of the question for my purposes. I still want to
know what it's like to use one, but the details are so limited right
now that I'll reserve judgment until I can actually use one and see
how things like text input and other common tasks work. For now, I'll
stick with my CDMA RAZR and Newton, which is still an excellent and
affordable organizer/handheld computer.

-Ian Johnson