Re: [NTLK] iPhone

From: <jabberwock_at_poetic.com>
Date: Thu Jan 11 2007 - 00:18:47 EST

$600 is a lot of money, yes.

But I have over $2000 invested in my 2 Newtons. In addition I've invested a few hundred hours struggling to get it to do things. I've tried very hard to smooth out my handwriting to satisfy it. I've spent a few hours on this list and the other Newton internet facilities over the decade as well as I hope for that key information that will get something to work. My time isn't as valuable as some of yours, most likely, but it is worth something and that is a huge investment.

$600 is a lot of money, yes.

My Newton has performed 2 valuable services for me. It helped me get through college by storing many of the books I required for school, and by letting me take notes relatively easily. In the darkened screenwriting classroom when the instructor was discussing a film playing on the screen, I was the only one who could take notes. Similarly, when I was at home and I had an idea in the dead of night, I didn't have to turn on the bright lights to take some notes--I just turned on the glowing Newton and jotted down whatever I may. I could try to decode the handwriting recognition later. I could even take notes with the screen unlit in complete darkness with some accuracy. Sadly, I'm out of school now with no time to struggle with the Newton and my handwriting is so jittery that I can't take midnight notes any more.

$600 is a lot of money, yes.

Soon I will be able to do much more with the iPhone--surf the internet, take decent photos and voice notes, check my email and voicemail almost anywhere in the world, talk to friends and associates, check my calendar which is synched with my Mac, play a useful list of music and much much more. I won't pay $2000, not even $1000 like I did for my first Newton. I won't have to struggle for long hours to figure out how to do simple tasks, like synch, backup, and load new software. I'll save hundreds of dollars and hundreds of hours and be more productive and have more fun. But I won't be able to take midnight notes conveniently until someone produces some great software that will let me write with my fingertip.

$600 is a lot of money, yes.

No, it isn't.

cheer
Tom Swell

--
Low Prices, Wide Selection of Gas Masks
Everyday low price guarantee. We offer special police discounts and an extremely wide selection of gas masks, filters and huge selection of preparedness gear.