Re: [NTLK] iPhone

From: Morgan Aldridge <makkintosshu_at_mac.com>
Date: Thu Jan 11 2007 - 09:21:30 EST

I personally have felt for years that the advancements to the iPod
would always slowly morph into a Newton-like device with all the
modern functionality that is offered by their full line of products.
"Slowly" being the key word.

When they started adding read-only calendar & notes, then adding
photos, I knew it would happen. I think that as much as Apple likes
to be "revolutionary", they also prefer to take innovation at a pace
that will be easily adopted by the masses (not just the few) and get
the user interface right each step of the way. Sure, viewing photos
on the iPod photo wasn't revolutionary, but it did fit into the
interface very well. But now photos are "just another" little feature
and the user interface interface for them has actually been greatly
enhanced in an even more intuitive way (thanks to the gestur-driven
interface).

I think the iPhone is actually a huge leap in the direction of a
modern Newton direction and eventually we will see a device from
Apple that will fully replace the Newton (and more), but I also feel
that in the end this may have been a better path to get this
technology in the hands of the masses.

I will surely be trying to purchase an iPhone to replace my Newton
for calendar/to-do, e-mail, etc.; to replace my PSP for audio,
videos, photos, podcasts, and wireless browsing; to replace my cell
phone for calls, text messaging, and mobile 'net access for my
MacBook Pro and Newton (oh, I'm not giving it up for writing & eBooks
yet!); and possibly replace my pager, depending on the SMS
availability in my area. Normally I dislike convergence because you
get stuck with a Treo when you cancel your cell service (most
would've grabbed a LifeDrive instead if they wanted a PDA), however,
the iPhone supports so much functionality that will still be more
than useful enough even without cell phone service.

However, I'll always be waiting for the day the real Newton
replacement comes out.

Morgan Aldridge

--
morgant@makkintosshu.com