Re: [NTLK] {NTLK} iPhone v. Newton 2x00

From: Steve Hammond <stevehammond_at_globetrotter.net>
Date: Thu Jan 11 2007 - 16:32:29 EST

> Agreed. I'd be extremely surprised if a hard drive-based iPod didn't
> follow in the next few months that's basically an iPhone without the
> phone, but with a whole lot more storage. And hopefully with Wifi and
> Bluetooth as well.

That would make it really cool! Maybe a real good reason to upgrade
my iPod!

> What I'm really hoping is that the iPhone will be fully expandable
> from a software perspective. If Apple does indeed lock it down and
> disallow user-installed software, it could be a deal breaker.

For now, it is announced as a closed architecture, which is really
bad. Maybe that's because the same architecture will be used for the
next gen iPod, then all know that Apple do not want to open the iPod
too much, so its running in circle.

> On the other hand, even if it still isn't as good as a Newton,
> there's little doubt that it will be by far the best smartphone on
> the market...

Completely agree.