Re: [NTLK] The day the Newton died it's final death...

From: James Grubic <jgrubic_at_bozeman.k12.mt.us>
Date: Fri Jan 12 2007 - 12:24:38 EST

Here's the reasoning behind my point.

I recommend and purchase Apple computers for an entire school district.
We sometimes get stuck in these loops where people are trying to run a
particular piece of software that requires 10.3 and/or 10.4. They may
originally have been running OS9 on an iMac, or even 10.2. We can spend
money to upgrade their machine's hard drive and memory and OS, or they
can wait until funds are available for a new machine. Sometimes, they
are running 10.4 on a new machine the the software is only compatible
with 10.3. It's ridiculous.

So, force may be a strong word. But I am bitter about the political
decisions behind the requirements of certain OS versions and certain
pieces of software (Apple Remote Desktop). ARD is the main reason I
cannot run 10.4 on my own work computer. Additionally, when Apple made
iBook G4s only work with OSX and not OS9, they did in fact force people
into the new OS no matter how you look at it.

I do like the fact that Apple machines do have a longer lifetime than
Windows PCs. We had Apple II and LC580 class machines running for years,
and in some cases still running. What I really don't like is multiple
versions of OSX being out there that are all paid upgrades; this has
created a rift for us with software compatibility and the only way out
of it is to spend money to get new machines or buy licenses for the new
OS to run on older hardware.

Progress is inevitable, but the idea that everyone has the money to
always upgrade to the latest and greatest hardware and software is
problematic. Just ask anyone who has bought thousand dollar software
packages in the last few years.

> Computer hardware upgrades are a normal part of the cycle of Hi-tech
> as we all know. It's just a question of when it becomes worth it.

Absolutely. It's also a question of when you can afford it.

James