Re: [NTLK] [OT] Carl Sagan Vindication

From: Dana W Cook <danacook88_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Jan 14 2007 - 18:26:23 EST

Thought I would bring something up that is related. Read a book a few years
back, "Life of the Cosmos" Author: ???

Basically, contemplating our existence with the presence of a "GOD" per
Christian religion or otherwise. The author is a physicist and cosmologist.
Normally, when I read these types of books, I can only understand about 30
percent (40 if I happen to sharp that particular day). And so, Steven
Hawking and the like are 60 to 70% out of my mental range.

Anyway, the author, while trying to find support for a coexistant "GOD" and
our science, he goes through what is required for our kind of life to exist
(carbon based life) on our planet in our solar system in our universe. The
probability as he calculates it is quite small, and therefore, he says that
this alone MAY be proof of some higher form responsible for at least
creating the environment from which life was spawned (and from what point of
life is dependent on your own beliefs - I am not trying to incite a riot
here).

If I piece this all together to the current OT discussion about the
possibility of life elsewhere, at least this author found the probability of
our own existence to be low.

Just thoughts of which I have little to no opinion as of now, just sharing
from my reading.

Respectfully,

Dana Cook