Re: [NTLK] ARM processor powers iPhone?

From: matthiasm <mm_at_matthiasm.com>
Date: Mon Jan 15 2007 - 14:05:26 EST

On Jan 15, 2007, at 5:39 PM, Niklas Nisbeth wrote:

>> We have to remember that the ARM processors in our
>> newtons are at least 10 years old and aren't getting any younger. ;-)
>
> Yes - but the CPU in my Sony phone is actually the exact same type of
> ARM chip as the one in my Newton 2100, albeit at a higher clock
> frequency, 220MHz (according to Wikipedia, at least). Which is hardly
> surprising! The Newton was cutting edge at the time, hardware-wise,
> and
> now the h/w has moved into mid-range products...

Well, all modern Windows Mobile phone have ARM chips that are very
compatible to the StrongARM inside our 2100. That does unfortunatly
not mean that NewtonOS would easily run on thise devices because we
are missing the drivers for the rest of the hardware, which is at
least as important as the CPU itself. To make things a bit more
difficult, Newton runs in MSB first and all other devices in LSB
first mode (kind of like a Newton car is driving on the right hand
side, all others on the left hand side).

> ... Too bad it's made by
> Steve Job's Apple...
>
> Steve hates geeks!

We will see. At least Apple releases its developer packages for free.
Microsoft did not for the longest time and even now gives away only a
pretty meager version that does not include Windows Mobile support.

Matthias

----
http://robowerk.com/