Re: [NTLK] My Nokia N800

From: Sean Luke <sean_at_cs.gmu.edu>
Date: Wed Jan 17 2007 - 14:19:23 EST

Martin quoth:
> Thanks for sharing and please do update us on how this works for
> you. I am particularly interested in the battery life.

At full charge the battery monitor is claiming about 5-6 hours of
continuous web-surfing use and about 10 days at standby. I'm
suspecting somewhat less than that, but I have not done much in the
way of testing -- I'm pretty tough on it power-consumption-wise. The
N800, not surprisingly given what its company normally sells, can be
manually turned off but has no way to go into standby other than
waiting for some N minutes (which you can set). Very cellphone-ish.

Victor quoth:
> Buy a Pepper Pad - that's what I did:
> http://www.chuma.org/pepperpad/

I thought the Pepper Pad was kind of neat, and it runs Java nicely
right now and the N800's Java is in hacker stage. But at $800 for
the PP3 at Target (and $500 for the original at fire-sale price), it
was out of my range. It's also HUGE! And 2.3 pounds! On the other
hand, that hugeness has a nice property -- you can read the screen
without squinting. I have 20/20 vision and even I have some
difficulty on the N800's tiny screen. And it's got a built-in
keyboard, the lack of which is a huge flaw in the N800. AND the hard
drive is nice, even if I strongly suspect it kills battery life. But
I wanted something I could reasonably put in my backpack and was no
larger or heavier than the original Newt (1.4 pounds). The N800 also
has a pretty refined interface.

Sean