Re: [NTLK] My Nokia N800

From: Karel Jansens <karel.jansens_at_scarlet.be>
Date: Wed Jan 17 2007 - 16:29:58 EST

Marcus Hammerschmitt schreef:
> At 07:10 16.01.2006, you wrote:
>

>>It's a linux box underneath, with a passable zooming UI developed by Nokia and fully open source and crummy HWR.
>

> (...)
>

>>MP2100. Fits in my pocket, but the text can get microscopic!
>

> Basically the same problem as with the iPhone: no easy text
> input and too tiny a screen. Not my kind of device then.

Indeed. In a nutshell, the HWR (it's almost blasphemy to call its
character recognizer that) in the 770/N800 blows big chunks (it's better
than Graffiti though), but -- in theory at least -- something like XT9

http://www.tegic.com/products/xt9.asp

could be easily ported to the N800 (there even have been rumours about
it buzzing on the fora). What are the odds Apple will port Inkwell to
the [insert_name_here]Phone?

Also, the N800 supports (now) up to 8GB of replaceable memory (not all
4GB SD cards work, but enough do), has a standard user-replacable
battery, an amazing screen, an active developer community and, best of
all, it's not a phone! :)