Re: [NTLK] Strategies for upgrading packages in an untethered world

From: RAParker <quadzillanet_at_newted.org>
Date: Wed Jan 17 2007 - 18:04:36 EST

On Jan 17, 2007, at 10:30 AM, Zachery Bir wrote:

> I install new packages with nHTTPlib, using Fetch URL
> from my inbox, and putting them away with ICVC. This leads to a sort
> of chicken and egg situation if I ever want to upgrade ICVC. How to
> put it away and let it clobber the existing package?

Have no fear, your Newton is pretty smart...

Put the new package away to a different store than where the 'running'
ICVC is installed. You Newton will disable/freeze the newly installed
package the moment it finds that a conflict exists. Then all you do is
delete the old one, unfreeze the new one and move it to where you want
it.

Ron

--
Sent using Mail for Mac OS X. Cyberdog lives!
--
    |\ | @ Quadzilla.NET
--
Fetch...Send...Stay... "Good Boy!"