Re: [NTLK] Simon's NCK updates?

From: Simon Bell <simonbell_at_mac.com>
Date: Fri Jan 26 2007 - 13:57:35 EST

On 26 Jan, 2007, at 9:51 am, Jochen Schäfer wrote:

> How feasible would it be to port the framework (GUI is most
> certainly a
> problem) over to, say, Linux?

I honestly have no idea; I didn’t create it with portability in mind.
I wouldn’t even know how to translate OS X’s bundle mechanism to
another app architecture.

Some of the issues are:

o the Newton framework is mostly C++, but some Objective-C++ is
creeping in there as I add my implementation of protocol classes. GNU
tools should be able to handle that, right? Endian-ness may be an
issue because the data structures mimic yer actual Newton data which
is big-endian.

o the DIL framework uses Apple’s Bonjour and Bluetooth frameworks,
but POSIX read/write for the MNP5 serial transport. Endian-ness
shouldn’t be an issue, but I’ll find that out when I eventually get
an intel-based Mac :)

o the app itself uses the Cocoa AppKit to do its UI. I don’t think
you could salvage much of the UI code (would GNUStep or similar do
much in this area?), but code for the thread that handles the
connection should be reusable.

You may be able to judge from that.

Simon--