Re: [NTLK] New Palm Device (flop?)

From: Dekaritae <dekaritae_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Jun 01 2007 - 01:41:51 EDT

> From: Martin Joseph <NT@stillnewt.org>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] New Palm Device (flop?)
> Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 09:05:55 -0700
>

> On May 31, 2007, at 4:41 AM, John Chu wrote:
>
> I can buy a refurbished Macbook for $899 these days which has about
> 3.5 hours of battery life, and can run Windows, Linux and OSX.
>
> Why would anyone want to pay $500 for a mini laptop that is too
> underpowered to play media, and has Linux of some kind only and an
> unknown processor type/speed?

Underpowered by what standards? CorePlayer decodes typical DivX and
XviD encoded video at 624x352 at near real-time on a Tapwave Zodiac,
which has a 200Mhz CPU. The latest Treo handhelds, the 680 and the
755p both have 312Mhz Intel processors, and I would expect this Foleo
device to have that at a minimum.

Opera Software has confirmed that their web browser will be used on
the platform, with the same media support given to the Wii and DS
versions (Adobe formats, YouTube, etc).