Re: [NTLK] New to the list

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jun 12 2007 - 16:11:12 EDT

On 6/12/07, kevin redding <big_h00pla@yahoo.com > wrote:

> I am new to the list from Gilbert, AZ. I have just bought a MP2000
> and have the manual to get through but of course I have a question
> that everyone knows and will probably groan when I ask it....

Welcome Kevin,

Well there are some that may, but we do hope as you learn your way around
that you'll be kind enough to answer some of these questions in the future
which may at that time make you groan ;-)

I have the battery pack that you put regular AA cells in it. I have
> some Duracells in it now, but plan on using NiMH AA cells. I have a
> charger and was wondering if I put the NiMH cells in it, if the
> MP2000 would recharge in it? If not, is there a mod I can do to make
> it charge?

Well I see Frank has chimed in already.
I'd have to agree with him that it's not really worth it, but of course I'm
the type also to do these things and am careful when using my Newton so it
migth be worth it to you to have this done.

I see Ed has given Daniel's URL also... great :)

I've got two modifications completed already and they were sold. i'm sure
those users are able to chime in on their use and if they thought the price
of the modification was worth it. I personally enjoy the use of the Newton
with the mod which alleviates the need to charge teh NiMH AA Cells
externally. As Frank noted you need a few things to do this mod and then
there is my personal experience which expresses the difficulty of this mod -
which depends on your abilities.

There are a few sites (2 or 3) which I've found on the Internet but (1 or 2)
of them have long since disappeared and need to be found through
Archive.org(I forget the website URLs or authors) but I recall one was
a German
website.

I've got a photo located here:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/122/267871079_68aa32c135_b.jpg

It has a simple walk through if you are a DIY person and hopefully I will
eventually have time by the end of hte year to make one or two more for
myself to use on my Newtons.
This is the larger version which is more readable. Check the photosets
out... and ask if you need any help...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonnyhung/sets/72057594074185913/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonnyhung/sets/72057594079049821/

Please be aware that there are a few concerns with it's use which Frank has
kindly reminded everyone on and I suggest you read up on it... if you're
interested in doing it yourself...

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung