Re: [NTLK] Catastrophic hinge repair?

From: Douglas Johnston <douglas.johnston_at_mac.com>
Date: Sun Jun 24 2007 - 15:16:00 EDT

On 24-Jun-07, at 12:42 PM, Douglas Johnston wrote:

> So, partial success, but now the backlight doesn't come on. I hear
> the transformer whine, but there's no light. I checked the soldered
> connections, and they seem solid enough. (Red wires to the right,
> correct?)

So, score one for the transparency of the eMate's shell. I shone a
flashlight through the section to the left of the screen, and saw
that the BL connector had come loose (I must have yanked the wires a
little too tight for the soldering). I popped open the screen bezel,
put a bit more slack in the wires, and re-connected the BL.
Everything now works like a charm.

Whew. It may have taken a few hours and a couple of strip-downs, but
the eMate is now better than ever. *And* I got to know the guts of
one of my favorite new machines. Not a bad day, I think....

all my best,
dj