Re: [NTLK] (newbie, kinda) Upgrading a H1000 to 2.0/2.1

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Fri Jun 29 2007 - 21:57:20 EDT

On 6/29/2007 6:00 PM, Joshua Cearley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just today obtained a H1000 and have been playing around with the
> handwriting recognition, and I was also wondering how to go about
> upgrading the OS if that is at all possible? It appears to be running
> 1.3 at the moment but I've read about some people that have gotten
> NewtonOS 2 on one.
>
> If there is no way to do this, I can try to prod around with 1.3
> anyway. I won't be heartbroken since it was pretty cheap but it'll
> still be cooler to get 2.0 or 2.1 working on it :-D
>
> Thanks,
> -Joshua Cearley

It is not possible to upgrade them to 2.0 as the OS is on a ROM chip not
flash RAM. It was possible at one time to upgrade a MP120 from 1.3 to
2.0 (the early units had 1.3) but only by sending it back to Apple and
having them replace the chip. Since the H1000 design was significantly
different from the 120 I don't think such chips would be compatible.
But even if they where, if you got a working 120, why try and upgrade
the H1000 when you have a better model already in your possession. ;)

-Dan