Re: [NTLK] WikiWiki entries for Newtworks Footnotes / Notes troubleshooting

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Tue Mar 06 2007 - 10:45:41 EST

On 3/4/2007 3:02 PM, Mr Jonathan Dueck wrote:
> Hi, folks.
>
> I've just posted two entries to WikiWikiNewt which
> might be of use to some:
>
> http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/TroubleshootNotes
> http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/ScholarlyWriting
>
> The first explains how to use NewtSync to troubleshoot
> problems with exporting Notes using NCX.
>
> The second (using some text I posted to this list)
> explains how I use NewtonWorks with footnotes and
> reference software for academic writing.
>
> Hopefully these tips are of some use to other Newton
> folks.
>
> Cheers,
> Jon

I would like to suggest trying FilePad for your bibliography manager, at
least on the Newt side. File pad allows you to export and import text
in many standard formats. I suspect you can get the data out of
Bookends 9 into file pad and back out again. Then you would have all of
your data and editable besides.

As for Cardmedia, if you have Xport you can customize how the data is
exported out of the Names soup into a CSV and perhaps you can then
import that into the bibliography manager of your choice (and back in
again as Xport allows data transfer both ways to the Names soup).
Another method would be to use Sloup to get the data in and out of the
Names Soup. But this would require more setup and fiddling time as
Sloup has a larger learning curve, however it is free and easily obtainable.

Regarding Footnotes, that is a good solution. However, how do you keep
things aligned on the proper page? I would think it would be necessary
to have the page set to the same size and that would mean a lot of
scrolling around on the Newt side. Though I suppose you could enter the
footnotes after most of the other writing had been completed to minimize
the scrolling. I always wished that Works had footnotes capability.
You can get headers and footers using Worksbetter however those are the
same on every page and not very useful for footnotes.

-Dan