Re: [NTLK] I need a PDA, is a Newton a sane choice today?

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 09:40:22 EST

On 3/7/2007 5:15 AM, Jan Thomas wrote:
> Hi list people, this is my first post and I'm looking for a bit of advice.
>
> I stumbled across the Apple Newton again recently after not seeing one for many years, and it just happens that I'm in a position now where I could really use a PDA. I know I could just go out and buy a Palm and be done with it, but I really do get a kick out of using older hardware that still has life in it, and making them do things that wasn't conceived when it was designed.
>
> Before I go to the shops and like the masses drop a load of cash for an inferior device, I thought I would do some research to find if this 10yr old machine will meet my needs. At the moment the missing gaps in my information relate to syncing. The main problem is that I am forced to use Lotus Notes on a PC at work, and I have an Apple Mac at home. I would like to be able to make notes in meetings, add calendar and to do entries, and sync them to my Lotus Notes, and also with iCal/Address book etc on my Mac (mini G4 - OS X 10.4).
>
> So, assuming I can get my hands on a 2000/2100, and a supported Wifi/BT or Lan card, can I realistically expect a Newton to fill my needs?
>
> Or should I forget it and just go buy a Palm?
>
> thanks in advance.

Well I think the Apple Newton is a viable solution. However syncing has
always been a "sticking point". It is possible to do it, but nothing is
100% bullet proof in this regard. So if you do sync make sure you back
up FIRST because sooner it seems that people encounter problems (usually
with corrupted soups that you have to edit with a soup editor by hand if
you don't have a backup). I think there use to be a sync tool to use
with Lotus Notes but I am not sure of that and I suspect it would no
longer be compatible by this late date (companies love to change formats
so that you have to buy their newest version to be able to read files
generated by others of said version). If you can import/export a CSV
file with Lotus Notes and your address book, then that is a possible fix
as the original Newton Connection Utilities can create/import these
files. The downside is it only runs in Classic and sometimes
disconnects although this is less likely on the Mac than on Windows (on
windows you usually need to use a program called Slowdown to slow the
machine down to prevent disconnects as the machine is usually running
faster than what NCU expects).

There are several tools being developed for connecting a Newton to a
desktop. NCX by Simon Bell is the one being developed for the Mac (OSX)
and has potential to do what you want however it is not there yet. But
it can import packages and backup from OSX.

There are also windows connection tools being developed and hopefully
will be available soon.

So in short it may be possible but by the sounds it is not without
bumps/problems at the moment. Though many of us are hoping that these
potholes will finally be filled in shortly.

Something you also may wish to consider: a 2100 is fairly cheap compared
to a newer device. Therefore it may be worth your while to try a 2100
and see if fits your needs. But if seamless syncing with the programs
you mentioned is the highest priority for you, a Newton is not there yet.

-Dan