Re: [NTLK] I need a PDA, is a Newton a sane choice today?

From: Eldee Stephens <eldee_stephens_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 11:58:00 EST

--- pnetops@yahoo.com wrote:

> Before I go to the shops and like the masses drop a load of cash for an inferior
> device, I thought I would do some research to find if this 10yr old machine will
> meet my needs. At the moment the missing gaps in my information relate to syncing.
> The main problem is that I am forced to use Lotus Notes on a PC at work, and I
> have an Apple Mac at home. I would like to be able to make notes in meetings, add
> calendar and to do entries, and sync them to my Lotus Notes, and also with
> iCal/Address book etc on my Mac (mini G4 - OS X 10.4).

there is no direct method of syncing anything with lotus notes. back in the days of
release 4, there was cadenza, which worked reasonably well; but there is nothing
compatible with today's release 6 or 7. the most recent version of notes does
support import/export of ical and vcard events and names, so i've been doing it that
way. but it is something that you have to perform manually, and there is no real way
of syncing automatically. it was such a hassle, that i just gave up and started
entering meetings by hand on the newton rather than go through the whole complicated
process. the other problem is that NCU for windows is a miserable experience for any
PC made in the last five years.

things are slightly better on mac os x. there are utilities that will keep you
sync'd with your local ical calendar.

> So, assuming I can get my hands on a 2000/2100, and a supported Wifi/BT or Lan
> card, can I realistically expect a Newton to fill my needs?

i would say no. while i really enjoy my newton, and do use it for daily life, i
would not recommend it for corporate use -- especially if your mail, notes, and
calendar are in the lotus notes client. in addition the newton is much larger than
today's palms, PPCs, and blackberry handhelds, substantially slower on the
networking side, and the connectivity to modern PC platforms is woeful.

i certainly would not want to dissuade you from purchasing one, however. you can
find a good unit used for very little cash. but if you're expecting seamless
synchronization like you'd find on the palm, it just isn't there; it never was. for
taking notes, keeping to-dos, and keeping a calendar, the newton is an excellent
choice with a large screen, reasonably good HWR, and a superb interface. but if you
want lotus notes connectivity and at least a semi-modern internet browsing
experience, look elsewhere.

-- eldee

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.