Re: [NTLK] I need a PDA, is a Newton a sane choice today?

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 15:14:29 EST

On 3/7/2007 12:09 PM, Goodwin, Greg P. wrote:

> "There are several tools being developed for connecting a Newton to a
> desktop. NCX by Simon Bell is the one being developed for the Mac (OSX)
> and has potential to do what you want however it is not there yet. But
> it can import packages and backup from OSX.
>
> -Dan"
>
> Allow me to suggest the following full proof solution. All you
> need on the WinBox, LinBox, Mac, Atari8/ST, C=64, Amiga, Acorn, Ti99,
> Dreamcast, (etc) is a term program that can do X, Y, or Z transfer.
>
> http://www.tucows.com/preview/32975
>
> Great stuff. Even includes a snapshot utility that will make
> .tiff snapshots of what is going on in the Newton, that can also be
> transferred back to the computer that talks to it.
>
> There is also Sloup by Steve Weyer... never could get that to
> work but looks impressive!!
>
> http://saweyer.freehostia.com/newton/sloup.htm
>
> Doc Clu

Yes that is true. You can get data out with those tools. I have used
them but they are not very user friendly and certainly not seamless
which is what everyone is looking for. Sure you can get the data out
and in, but to do it on a regular basis turns into a chore you don't
want to bother with. People want a simple connection and have the
computer do the work. I have got Sloup to work and it is a great tool
but again it is has a fairly high learning curve. And it can be used as
the core to another program such as Notes2Notes works by taking the
configuration of sloup to the background so the Newt can sync with
Outlook. By the way, you don't do a lot of data transfer in x y or
zmodem. For normal data (like certain fields from a soup) you send that
as plain text and capture it with your terminals buffer capture. I
believe you only use X Y or Z if you are doing a full package transfer
(or in this case full soup transfer). Which can be handy if you want to
back up a whole soup and restore it later.

Another great package that works with a terminal like this is called
EETransfer. It does have more features however and allows you to create
custom export and import tools. But again it has a steep learning curve
and is aimed more at developers.

-Dan