Re: [NTLK] I need a PDA, is a Newton a sane choice today?

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 15:43:09 EST

On 3/7/07, Jan Thomas <pnetops@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Not to my home Mac, but definitely to the Lotus Notes
> at work. I MUST sync to Notes because my work stack is
> driven by my colleagues scheduling meetings and
> sending emails. Through Notes.

Hi Jan,

Let me chime in on this matter as I'm actually semi literate in Palm to
Notes Syncing.
(a little history behind the scene)

I use to work as laptop support at Ogilvy & Mather - they were the Global
Advertisers at that time for IBM who now owns Lotus Notes. Being that this
shop was Notes and their Top Execs (at least some wanted to be bleeding
edge) I was one of the go to people when it came to syncing. circa 2000-2002
with Notes R5 being released and R6 in Beta on my laptops...

Notes Sync with their software at that time was sucky though it worked.
The support issue was that they did not support their software right out of
the box.
If you went with it you had to PAY for support from day one.
I believe the primary software for this was IntelliSync...

At the time they had it working but it was not a happy camper when the data
started to get unwieldy - My suggestion is that since you are headed in this
way and the Notes Sync with Newton really is not supported and at least up
to now no one has spoken up in regards to it that it's a dead end road for
anyone...

IntelliSync works but one must (I repeat MUST) make daily backups and
possibly incremental backups as data corruption if it occurs is going to put
you through the wringer...

There were other software out there that could have done it better but when
i was actively researching it for the World Wide Coordinator it was too
costly a corporate solution to consider, but they aren't doing what you are
trying to do...

To just to what you're asking) at that time IntelliSync by PUMA TECH was the
way to go. Lotus had no other solution syncing to Palm. As I'm not up to
date with this any longer being out of the field after being let go back in
2002 after 9/11 I'd suggest finding out what's the Sync Options first
available with the Palm. There could have been new developments by other
third party vendors that are better solution by now though I think because
you are syncing with Notes you are going to have some issues still that will
be just part of using a sync with Notes & Palm...

Much success!

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung