Re: [NTLK] I need a PDA, is a Newton a sane choice today?

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 16:38:44 EST

On 3/7/07, Jan Thomas <pnetops@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Yeah there are several. They are between about $50-90.
> IBM even sells their 'Lotus EasySync' which works with
> Palm and PC, is qualified for LN upto and including
> v7, and its 60'ish bucks. As an IBM employee though, I
> can get it for free ;-)

Jan,

I'm pretty sure I tried Lotus Easy Sync - they did not offer support to
Ogilvy & Mather and it would require at the time that Ogilvy & Mather have a
Notes Service Contract and that they use one of their Service Calls for
Lotus Notes to get support. I think that probably cost in excess of $20,
000.00 a call by my calculations back then...

Also Lotus Easy Sync did not do a great job either.... I don't think they
have a good grasp of the complexity of Syncing Lotus to a small Palm OS
device. They write bloat was in the same vein as Microsoft. They need to get
someone focused to write it properly- they have the staff to do it but they
seem not to really care about this so you are likely going to be stuck with
issues unless they resolved this issue.

I think there is a round about way to get a Newton to sync here.
If you were to sync with a Palm Conduit that worked then using an older
Newton/Palm Conduit you could get both to sync... it might have to end up
with an Outlook Sync in between... defintitely not pain free but if you were
to be willing to fiddle with it it might be doable...

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung