Re: [NTLK] Sync and ereader for newbie newton user

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Mon Mar 12 2007 - 15:46:53 EDT

On 3/12/2007 12:02 PM, mkow1234@aol.com wrote:
> Hello Steve:
>
> If you can grab you Palm stuff and turn it into .RTF or text files, you can then paste that material into Newton book formats.
>
> I don't remember the exact link, but there is a web site that lets users choose a copyright-free book and then select the eBook format of thir choice, for a quick and easy conversion. You can't take paid-for content however, and make that into a Newton eBook.

Actually you can, depending on the publisher. Both Baen and Fictionwise
 offer unencrypted formats for sale. And yes there are many free ebook
sites around that offer unencrypted ebooks. Anyway here are a few sources:

http://www.fictionwise.com (offers both pay and some free ebooks in
multiformat which is unencrypted).

http://www.baen.com All their books are free of encryption. And for
most books that you buy a paper copy it includes the electronic copy on
a CD with the book.

http://www.the11thhour.com/ A free emagazine that you can convert to
Newtonbook, not currently being published

http://www.stillnewt.org/library A library of ebooks already in
Newtonbook Format.

http://www.unna.org/view.php?/books Unna also has quite a selection of
Newtonbooks.

http://manybooks.net

http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/ebooks/

http://www.memoware.com/

http://www.etext.org/Zines/Quanta/ Quanta A free sci-fi magazine, no
longer published

http://www.strangehorizons.com/ A free sci-fi magazine still being
published

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page A archive of classic books
(0ver 20,000) and public domain, all unencrypted and easily converted to
the Newton (many of them already have been).

http://www.booksforabuck.com/ Cheap ebooks that you can convert.

http://www.blackmask.com/ Also has books you can convert. They went
down but appear to back up but not at full capacity as of yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/ebooks/ Has Doctor Who fre
ebooks you can convert. I did a few of these and they should be in the
Newton library. This is more difficult since everything is spanned into
different chapter and pages via html.

http://www.intertext.com/magazine/archive/issue_browser.html A free
emagazine that was published for quite a few years. Most of the issues
are also available in Newtonbook format. But you can easily convert the
few issues that are not. Or if you don't like the format of Newtonbook
they have, create your own from the text version.

Well that is most of my links. I have a few more but I am not locating
them at the moment. And at any rate that should keep any reader busy
for awhile. ;)

-Dan