Re: [NTLK] Q: Utility Programs

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Tue Mar 13 2007 - 11:30:07 EDT

On 3/12/2007 9:21 PM, Sonny Hung wrote:
*snip*

> Woody, appreciate the thorough reply. My only wish is that someone who's
> able write a package that freezes the original package and copies it back to
> the same or different store. Likely the best people who'd be able to write
> this quickly would be a Newton OS coder but one can only hope that someone
> out there has the knowledge and time to write this app no matter how simple
> or complicated it maybe.
*snip*

Well there is a slight problem with the freeze method. When you restore
a package, no matter what state it was in when frozen it will be thawed
when restored. The only way I can see this being possible is if a
developer created a package that would copy a packages to another card
and changing the name of it in the process (such as StickyNewtsBK) or
such. And this might create confusion later on down the road if someone
installed the original package not realizing. Many times the name of
the package on the desktop is different than the one the Newton sees.
If you had a exact package with the same name, I am not sure what would
happen. Depending on the package and what it does you might be in for
some interesting problems.

Sonny my suggestion is to set up a card the packages you often end up
doing for the loaner card program or such and then back it up with NCU
(or something similar). Then rename the file name of the backup to
something more recognizable such as "Loaner Card-NIE" and put this
backup file into another folder. Then you can just restore that entire
backup to a card (NCU allows you to select which card you want to
restore the backup to). I think this is about the best, easiest method
you can use. It make take a while to do a restore (depending on the
size of the card) but I think it won't be any slower than shuffling
packages around from backups to internal then back to cards and it will
be easier on your hardware.

-Dan